Tackle Allergies for sound sleep
Don't let allergies prevent you from getting a good night's sleep. To protect yourself, the best strategy is to either eliminate the source of the allergy, or to minimize your exposure to it.
Start with removing dust
Clean your bedroom regularly, especially if you have carpets and/or drapery. Wipe floors, furniture, and tops of doors, windowsills and walls with a damp cloth to trap particles. Use a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner and invest in a HEPA air purifier.
- Clean your bedding weekly and use allergen barrier covers for your mattress and pillow.
- Make sure your bedding is hypoallergenic. Biomag offers a Wool Pillow which can help with allergen protection.
- Bathe pets frequently or restrict them from the bedroom.
- In your children's rooms wash stuffed animals as often as you do your bedding. They are an excellent breeding ground for dust mites.
- Invest in a dehumidifier if you don't air condition the house. Dust mites and other allergens thrive in humidity over 50%.
- Undress in another room to avoid bringing in allergens from outside. During heavy pollen season, shower before bedtime.
If all else fails and your sleep is still interrupted by your allergies, consult your primary health care provider—or your allergist. Sleep is too important to compromise!
More tips and advice for better sleep
Got a tip or advice of your own?Send us your tips